You must have seen the post going around on Facebook. Make a fast and dirty list of favorite books, not pausing to say which are the right ones or what sounds good. I admit, I did like adding #2 and #4 but I liked adding#1 and #8 just as much.
I haven't been able to read books at all, for about a decade. Too restless,
1. Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh, the book that got me writing every day since I was 10 (and I have it ALL still, save 2 journals)
2. Godel, Escher, Bach by Hofstader, ate this up at the tender age of 19
3. A Cape Cod Journal by Erma J. Fisk, a book I'd take on a desert island
4. The Lessons of History (and really, everything he wrote) by Will Durant, another I'd take on a desert island
5. The Pleasure of My Company (and everything he wrote) by Steve Martin (yes THAT Steve Martin)
6. Basketball Diaries, by Jim Caroll, unforgettable quality
7. Everything EVER written by F.Scott Fitzgerald
8. Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keene, every single one, mostly read by flashlight when I was supposed to be sleeping
9. The Secret History, by Donna Tartt
10.The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice - I admit it.
11. The Day I Became and Autodidact by Hailey - how I'd like to have done it, and do it now
12. This Thing Called Life by Ernest Holmes - pulled aside the veil