Skip to main content

Do Teasers Stop to Ask Why?

I love a snow storm - especially in the extreme. To me, it's akin to the Super Bowl. Though it raged all day, and some got 2', all is finally quiet here and I can actually see the asphalt on the driveway after the rain. No need to shovel at all. 
But many of my friends and neighbors are without heat and power. I get teased mercilessly for it, but it is precisely for times like these that I am your one stop, go-to gal. For decades I've borne the tired jokes/elbows in the ribs because I have EVERYTHING -- and back ups of that. But do the teasers stop to ask why? 
It's so I have enough to share with or take care of those who may need it, which has happened many times. 
Each city I've lived in had some of their biggest disasters occur during my time there: I get teased about THAT, but it's serious stuff for those in harms way. Tornadoes in Chicago, Boston's Blizzard of '78, the Northridge Earthquake in LA (and the OJ murders... and the Rodney King beatings, causing the entire city to be sprinkled with riots and copycat fires, one of which came through my neighborhood right up to the apartment next door), downtown NY during 9/11 (and for months after, interacting w/ those coming off the pile) and the big black outs in NY too - though I was here for Hurricane Sandy - and hurricane Katrina, Rita and Ike while in Houston. What are the odds? I've seen enough parades of the National Guard to last a lifetime.
I've also happened to be the first on the scene to help the victim(s) of several accidents - car crashes but also a motorcycle that hit a wall right in front of me on Beacon and Arlington coming off Storrow Drive. I was only 19 then. There are more examples. 
It's no surprise then that I have all that stuff to help, including skills - disaster certification, basic first aid and CPR training among other things, that now allow me to be a legit first responder in a pinch. 
I endure the jibes, but when the sh*t hits the fan, to have the supplies or the skills which come in handy? Suddenly... no more teasing! 
Now if only the road between us weren't closed, there'd be a fairly well populated pajama party going on at my warm and lit up house tonight. Complete with my excess of Flashy Blinky rings, snacks, new toothbrushes for all, and plenty o' HOT COFFEE in the morning.
If you need something tonight or tomorrow, you know where to find me. 
Grateful for all I have and more, for all I have to give.
Goodnight Friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eulogy for Albert Joseph

Editors Note: The italics are an intro, the eulogy itself is below the photos.

Sunday, March 30, 2008  

In the early hours of Saturday, March 22, my father passed away, at home, in his own bed, from natural causes. He was not struggling. He didn't cry out or look scared. We didn't know it would be his last day.

He had looked a little more lackluster earlier that evening as my sister was visiting him at our house. Yet his vitals were normal, so he was put to bed. By 3:00 AM his caregivers said he was breathing heavily, so they propped him up on his pillows hoping to create some relief. His pulse was good at 69... And yet, he took one big breath and then, no more. 

Don't we all wish to go under our own roof,  free of wires and tubes! For that much, and that he is no longer in the state that he had been in, I'm very grateful.


Photo by Joannah Merriman

For the previous five years he'd suffered from a multitude of conditions that happen to the body when it gets old. In the fi…

Excerpts from Notes from Paris: A Work in Progress, Part One

When I turned 30, I went to Paris for the first time, under circumstances far from what I'd envisioned when, sprawled across my bed as a teenager, I dreamt up a romantic vision of my adult life that included going there. But... I'd gone, and it felt like home from the moment my plane's wheels met the tarmac at Orly.  Soon after, I made a decision to put all my spare hours into writing, to see what was there. Though I had written almost every day since I was 10, I wanted to try my hand at all it's forms in a disciplined way, and set the stage to discover once and for all if it was my calling.   

 I was living in Hollywood then and ripe to leave, but it wasn't time for New York just yet. So I rented an apartment in Paris for the span that a long-stay visa would allow (6 months), and would see where life took me. By the time I arrived, unexpected developments caused me to cut that plan short. But the time I spent in Paris even now remains the best so far in a life whic…

More Notes from Paris, Part Two

A sample of notes I made when I lived in Paris for a short time when I was 30.  Still editing...   A continuation from the first installment, found HERE
(disclaimer: forgive this site's formatting issues)
Notes from Paris This material is original and not to be duplicated or used in any way without the authors permission.

DRAWING AT L’ ACADEMIE de la GRANDE CHAUMIERE or... A ROOM WITH QUITE A VIEWI relinquished speech completely in trade for the chance to spend an afternoon -  
and as it ended up, several more - drawing live models with a room full of strangers.  The entire time I said not one word. 
I was hiding in plain sight.  
I found my way to a door that led to an archway, that brought me intoa hall with more doors, one of which was ajar. There was a man, wearing glasses and a vest buttoned over a rumpled white shirt, standing at it's entrance,his back pressed against the frame, greeting the people trickling past him into a classroom. I walked beyond that door at a distance, …