Skip to main content

Black Ice

 

March 2, 2019

Lucky to be alive and to not have hurt anyone else.

Shared with Your friends
I've always felt secure driving in any weather in my BIG jeep with extra big wheels. Outside of a few kinks put in my bumpers over the years, I never have had an accident in my life.
This morning, there was a flicker of snow coming down. Roads were totally clear, a little wet, nothing unusual. I was heading south on 95, which has 4 lanes, cruising in the far left, accelerating to pass the car to my right, and settle into the middle lane ahead of him.
Most cars go between 77-80 mph in the passing lane here. I was almost past him, and just about to put on my blinker when suddenly my car spun and I, at 79 mph, was now PERPENDICULAR to oncoming traffic --- coming at me at high speeds too -- and heading right for a big long 18 wheeler.
I quickly calculated I was going to connect with the back 1/4 of that huge beast so I must have instinctually braked enough and turned the wheel enough to right myself in time to just miss it - but in doing so, though I was going straighter for a millisecond, my back end swung way around to the right now. I zigged and zagged dramatically, like the worst arcade game - so focused on handling my 5,000 lb death machine that I could not even grok what might have been coming on hard and fast from behind me. As I tried to get straight, my tail swerved again so I was now hurtling toward the deep median ditch between North and South lanes. I did manage to think 'Oh no! I'm going to one of those people stuck in the ditch... or this is the moment before I flip upside down and it's likely lights out.'
So I did one last correction with the wheel - trying not to be so extreme I'd end up perpendicular again, but definitely avoiding the ditch. I succeeded, but my left back door and wheel swung and hit the metal post hard on the way. You hate to hear that bang of metal but it was well outweighed by the fact that I'd kept myself level. And my tire was unscathed.
No idea how I finally came to a stop, but it wasn't soon after. That impact must have disciplined my car's rear to quit wagging the dog. My Cherokee came to rest at a 45 degree angle, the ass end on the shoulder, 3/4 of my front end taking up half of that speeding left lane. Finally stopped, I came into the moment and took a look right to check for oncoming cars, fully expecting that to be the next impact.
All I could take in was my lane -the rest was a blur - and there was a very nice couple who had slowed to a crawl. Though a few car lengths away, we somehow locked eyes. They telegraphed that they were holding back traffic so I could collect myself. I didn't take more than a second before I got back into traffic. Had the presence of mind to open my window, stick my arm out and wave at them for a bit. They flashed their lights in answer. Soon as I got up to speed I crossed two lanes one at a time and pulled over to the right shoulder so far I almost was in the woods. I put on my flashers. And I then I noticed I was shaking.
I am not a wussy, and however much I might freak out over something small or silly, when it's serious, I am fully present and razor sharp. The kind of person you want to be at YOUR accident or hospital bed. I've been glad to put that to good use, coming to people's aid during many a disaster. Maybe those skills came through for myself today. Felt more like it's LUCK that instinct kicked in. But I was SHAKING visibly when I tried to dial the phone. I drove at 58 mph in the right lane, both hands on the wheel, no radio, no gps, nothing till I got back to town. And it has taken me a few hours to pull my head out of a dull, going-through-the-motions kinda place.
I'm grateful I could carry my bag from my car, on my nice, working legs, open the door, etc and now spend these Saturday hours, however dull, upright and functioning! A small change in that scenario and I could be unable to do that, gone, broken legs or neck - or have hurt someone else. No kidding. Taking a breath, and very grateful.
Relating this just in case it helps someone else. It is not that cold, the streets looked completely fine. No matter your snow tires, or big truck or suv, guess black ice can render us nearly helpless.
Be safe everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paris Was Burning

Yesterday was a BIG day.  I finally opened an air-tight box which contained my few, most prized journals, wrapped in acid free paper, stored for over a decade.  Ten years! I hadn't realized it had been that long. While there are many things of far greater monetary value, nothing compares to how precious these journals are to me. Their pages contain my raw experiences, captured in the moment, as I did the rare thing of living a long held dream -- a dream that ended up surpassing even my wildest hopes and imaginings: spending four weeks by myself in Paris, in an apartment I rented, just writing, reading, eating, observing, listening and walking at all hours, as I pleased.  Twenty five years later, I decided to finally turn those journals into something polished - for myself at least, to publish at best. It was a bucket list item for me as a writer - but in that highest category of things you must do to leave this world without regret. In 2013 took them with me when I rented a house o

How To Declutter The Things That Really Matter

As time becomes more precious to me, and as the news and state of the world seems more stressful and oppressive, I am trying to do what I can in my own world to free up time, space and energy for JOY. Lately,  I've  been on a mission to rid myself of clutter across the board. I'm  unsubscribing  from e-mail lists, deleting lots of old emails, clearing search engine bookmarks and my photos in iCloud, sorting piles of paperwork, clothing, housewares, and even sifting through outdated make up, medicines, and food I stockpiled during the pandemic.  Besides being in the stage of life where we turn to letting go, the tiny house craze and Marie Kondo certainly "sparked" a resurgence of minimalism and decluttering. Many are also trying to do their part for the planet by consuming less and recycling more - which includes repairing what they have, giving things away so others can use them and buying formerly loved items on Ebay, yard sales and at thrift stores instead of new. 

Excerpts from Notes from Paris: A Work in Progress, Part One

When I turned 30, I went to Paris for the first time, under circumstances far from what I'd envisioned when, sprawled across my bed as a teenager, I dreamt up a romantic vision of my adult life that included going there. But... I went, and it felt like home from the moment the plane wheels met the tarmac at Orly.  Soon after, I made a decision to put all my spare hours into  writing, to see what was there. Though I had written almost every day since I was 10, I wanted to try my hand at all it's forms in a disciplined way, and set the stage to discover once and for all if it was my calling.    I was living in Hollywood then and so ripe to leave, but I had a few commitments there, keeping me from a wish to move to New York. To cope, I began to go to Paris on a regular basis, even rented an apartment for the span that a long-stay visa would allow (6 months), to see where it took me. By the time I arrived, unexpected developments caused me to cut that plan short. But the time I